Inside Office 2003
- Optoma Technology EZPRO737 DLP PROJECTOR 1500 LUMENS 3.8LBS (Optoma Technology-EP737)
- Philips BSURE XG1LCD PROJECTOR 1024X767 1200 ANSI LUMENS SXGA/XGA/SVGA/VGA (Philips-LC3141)
- Sharp NOTEVISION PG-M25X 1900 LUMENS DLP XGA 1024X768 WIRELESS 5.8LBS (Sharp-PGM25X)
- Toshiba TLP-T501U XGA 1600 LMNS W/ CMRA 802.11B WRELESS W/BUILT-IN DOC CAM (Toshiba-TLPT501U)
- NEC LT240 DESKTOP PROJ XGA 1600 A-LUMENS 6.5 1300:1 WIRED/WRLS LAN (NEC-LT240)
- InFocus INFOCUS LP70 PROJ XGA 1100 LUMENS (InFocus-LP70) $900.00 (Check Prices) via ChicagoComputerSupply
- Dell 3200MP
- Boxlight XD-15c
- Sony VPL-CX5 LCD PROJECTOR XGA 5.15LB 2000 ANSI LUMENS (Sony-VPLCX5) $649.00 (Check Prices) via Amazon.com Marketplace
- Mitsubishi XD300U DLP PROJECTOR XGA 1024X768 2100 ANSI LUMENS PORTABLE (Mitsubishi-XD300U)
Office 2003 and Your Workgroup
Microsoft is clearly stressing the new functions for workgroups and enterprises, envisioning Office 2003 as improving how you handle tasks within your organization that are susceptible to delays or inaccuracy due to old information, such as product brochures and customer-service reports. How well this works in practice depends largely on you and your colleagues, of course.
The Professional and Professional Enterprise versions of Word and Excel let you create schemas, which are the "extensible" elements in XML, allowing users to give detailed and customized descriptions of the data they're entering. Using XML in Office apps could give the people who share the documents more accurate data automatically. For instance, it could connect sales and presentation files so that when someone doing a presentation brings up a slide with sales data, the slide always shows the latest numbers.
InfoPath, which ships only with the Professional Enterprise Edition ($199 separately), lets you design forms to interact with information residing in databases or in other back-end systems. Microsoft expects the program to accelerate the processing of data from human resources and inventory systems, for example.
New features in Office 2003's SharePoint 2 server could improve a team's efficiency by providing a shared workspace. Currently team members likely exchange via e-mail the Word and Excel documents that make up, say, a marketing report.
For many corporations, the good news is that Office 2003 could help groups work together better. For individuals, though, the good news is that you can save your money: Aside from Outlook, and a few tricks added to Word and Excel, there's not much new in this Office.