Color Lasers Get Affordable
- HP Color LaserJet 2600n Laser Printer (8 PPM, 600x600 DPI, Colour, 16MB, PC/Mac)
- Xerox Phaser 6120/N
- HP Color LaserJet 3600dn
- Epson Stylus R220 Photo Printer $296.00 (Check Prices) via Amazon.com Marketplace
- Oki Printing Solutions C5200N Laser Printer (24 PPM, 1200x1200 DPI, Color, 32MB, PC/Mac)
- Konica Minolta Magicolor 2430DL
- Konica Minolta Magicolor 2450
- Canon Bubble Jet i9900 Photo Printer $1,000.00 (Check Prices) via Amazon.com Marketplace
- Brother HL-2700CN
- Dell Color Laser 3000cn
The Brother HL-2700CN earned our highest overall score for output performance, and the model is reasonably priced at $500. Text printing was remarkably quick, at 18.7 ppm--the fastest speed on the chart--and color graphics printed at a respectable 3.1 ppm.
The built-in Web interface is convenient for managing the printer, but Brother also includes administration software. Larger companies can use their existing SNMP applications.
Text quality wasn't tops, however, as letters looked slightly fuzzy and had lots of jagged edges. Color graphics were too dark.
Paper handling is simple, making this model best suited for groups with simple printing needs. The HL-2700CN has a 250-sheet paper drawer, with no bypass tray. To print on legal-size paper, you'll need to buy a $150 tray for the main drawer. An additional 500-sheet drawer costs a whopping $550--and this drawer doesn't accept legal-size paper.