Motorola on Thursday announced its first Android smartphone, which will ship in the fourth quarter with T-Mobile USA under the name Cliq.
The touchscreen phone will use an upcoming Internet-based service for Motorola phones, called Blur, which will integrate information from users' contacts on a variety of social-networking services including Facebook, Twitter and MySpace. Blur users will be able to combine their contacts on all those networks into one contact list, organize their own groups or divide contacts by social network, according to Sanjay Jha, co-CEO of Motorola and CEO of the company's Mobile Devices group.
The Cliq, unveiled at the Mobilize conference in San Francisco, will have a slide-out QWERTY keyboard as well as a touchscreen. It will come with Wi-Fi as well as 3G (third-generation) connectivity, a 5-megapixel camera that can shoot video at 24 frames per second and a standard 3.5mm headphone jack.
The device will be called the Dext in other markets. In the fourth quarter it will also be introduced with Orange in France and the U.K., Telef
"It's a very important starting point for us," Jha said.
Within the next few days, Motorola will introduce another Android handset that will ship in time for the year-end holiday season, Jha said.
Next year the company will roll out many more devices worldwide, in different form factors, that can use the Blur service, he said.
"I see smartphones as the future of consumer and prosumer computing," Jha said during a conversation on stage with Om Malik, founder of the GigaOm Network, which organized the conference. "If it doesn't fit in your pocket, I don't think it's going to be a relevant device from a consumer and prosumer point of view."
Like other handset makers, Motorola is struggling to compete with Apple's iconic iPhone. The stakes may be higher for Motorola because it hasn't had a big hit since its original Razr earlier this decade, at least a generation ago in the handset world. The Schaumburg, Illinois, company shipped 14.8 million handsets in the second quarter, down from 28.1 million a year earlier. Though other manufacturers have been hit by the recession, Motorola has fallen back more dramatically. Its Mobile Devices division saw its revenue fall 45 percent and lost $253 million in the second quarter.
Early in 2008, Motorola said it might spin off the handset division, its weakest performing unit. But in October, the company said it would delay the spinoff and narrow down the list of software platforms it uses on phones, focusing on Android and Windows Mobile. Jha did not mention Windows Mobile during the Thursday event.