10 Signs You're a Social Media Addict
Answer these questions carefully (since denial is the first sign): Do you find yourself dreaming about status updates and friend requests? Does your TwitPic account chronicle your trips to the grocery store and cleaners?
Are you addicted to social media?
A new study from Retrevo Gadgetology suggests that more people are becoming obsessed with their online social circles.
Consider these stats from the survey:
- 48% of people check/update Facebook and/or Twitter after they go to bed.
- 55% of people over 25 have to check in on Facebook at least once a day.
- 49% of people under 25 years old can be interrupted by an electronic message during a meal. (27% for people over 25 years of age).
1. You speak in sentences of precisely 140 characters or less.
2. You randomly "poke" coworkers on your way to the restroom.
3. A coworker asks: "How was your weekend?" Your first thought: "Gosh, I don't update Twitter for nothing..."
4. Your LinkedIn profile accomplishments include: "Successfully promoted to level 932 of Mafia Wars," and "Followed 9,932 Twitter accounts in a 24-hour period with a 92% success rate in follow-backs."
5. You judge your self-worth on how often you're retweeted.
6. Fail Whale? You frantically hit refresh 189 times before it reloads successfully. Phew!
7. Ding! You receive a text message. Is it from a friend? Nope. "@JoeShmo123 just sent you a direct message: 'Hey there, thx for the follow. How can I help YOU grow your business?'" SCORE! One more follower!
8. You update your status while driving. "Just hit a squirrel...I think he's dead. Yeah, he's definitely dead. RIP little guy."
10. You're holding on to that MySpace or Friendster account, just in case, you know, it gets popular again.