iOS users now have access to Google Play content
Google may be the biggest search engine in the world, but it’s also been on a content kick lately. It started when the company rebranded the Android Marketplace to the Google Play store.
It then became even more apparent with its latest forays in content streaming, first with the mostly-defunct Google TV and then with Chromecast.
Now, Google’s bringing iOS users into the fold with the Google Play TV & Movies app. The app works on iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad devices, but you can’t browse the Google Play store directly from it.
Instead, you’ll have to add content to your queue from the Google Play site on your browser, and then you can watch them on your device of choice. Google writes that you can even use Chromecast to watch Google Play movies and TV shows, though there’s no support for Apple TV.
You can check out the Google Play Movies & TV app in the iTunes App Store.
While it's not for everyone, Chromecast is a cheap and effective way to make any TV smart. Read the full review
- Fast and easy phone- or tablet-based navigation
- Automatic TV controls are a brilliant touch
- Unbeatable price at $35 (frequently available for less on sale)
- Unusable without a phone, tablet, or PC
- No universal search or on-screen menu system
- Chrome tab mirroring still doesn't work that well