20 Must-Have IE and Firefox Shortcuts
1. If your browser is pulling up old pages, you can refresh and override the cache at the same time: Ctrl +Cmd+F5
2. Move the cursor up to the address bar: Alt + D
3. Bring the cursor to the search bar: Cntrl + Cmd (or Windows key) +K
4. Find text in a page: simply press / and type the search term. It will get you right to it.
5. Open your home page in a new tab: Alt + home.
6. Go back a page: press the backspace key.
7. Clear private data: Press alt+shift+delete (not to be confused with alt+control+delete which will reboot your computer in older versions of Windows)
8. Display the active window in a full screen: press F11. Press it again, and you're back to the previous size.
9. Move from link to link, or other actionable item by pressing the tab key. Reverse direction with shift+tab.
If your memory is no better than mine, chances are you won't remember all of these shortcuts. You might want to drop the tips that you think you'll use into a text or Word file and bring it up in a small window while browsing.
San Francisco journalist Bill Snyder writes frequently about business and technology. He welcomes your comments and suggestions. Reach him at email@example.com.