How To Print Your Own Holiday Temporary Tattoos
Though you may not equate tattoos with the holiday season, temporary tattoos can be perfect for Christmas parties, kids' parties, and New Year's Eve. And with your trusty inkjet or laser printer, you can print out your very own festive holiday temporary tattoos.
- Purchase temporary tattoo paper--you can find it at BelDecal or DecalPaper.com ($20 for five sheets of tattoo paper and five sheets of adhesive).
- Design your temporary tattoos. You can do this in any graphics program, such as Photoshop, but tattoos should be small, and you'll want to have as many designs as you can fit on each sheet. The best designs for temporary tattoos are simple ones, such as clip art, not photos. If you decide to print words, you'll need to flip them so that they're mirror images.
- Once you have a sheet of tattoo designs, print a test sheet on plain paper. If everything looks good, go ahead and put the tattoo paper into your printer--only print one page at a time.
- Allow the printed sheets to dry completely before you touch them (you'll have to wait about 3 minutes).
- Once the sheets are dry, remove the first side of the adhesive sheet and apply it to the tattoo paper. Make sure that no air bubbles get trapped inside (the easiest way to do this is to use a ruler to flatten out the adhesive as you stick it on).
- Cut out each tattoo design.
- To apply a new temporary tattoo, remove the second side of the adhesive backing and press the tattoo against your skin for 20 seconds. Then wet the paper with a sponge or a wet paper towel for 60 seconds. When the paper is completely wet, remove the paper and you'll have a (temporary) holiday tattoo!
Other fun holiday printer projects include turning photos into calendars, gifts, and greeting cards. And in past years, we've described in detail how to print your own greeting cards, how to make custom photo gifts, and how to design calendars.