How To Update the 'Normal' Style in Microsoft Word
Changing the "normal" style in Microsoft Word is easy and can be done in as little as two minutes.
- Create a block of text using the style that you wish to appear as "Normal"--the default font and paragraph style that Word will use whenever you create a new document.
- Make sure to set not just the text's font and size, but also the paragraph styling: Select something within the block of text that you just created, right-click it, and then choose Paragraph.
- Set the line spacing, indentation, and alignment.
- Next, select some of the finished text, right-click it, and select Styles.
- Click Update Normal to Match Selection.
- Finally, to make this style permanent for new documents, in the Word ribbon click Change Styles and Set as Default.
Other common problems with Windows PCs can also be solved with 5-minute fixes.
Here are several other tweaks for Microsoft Office that you can do in just a few minutes.