Old Gadgets Play 'House of the Rising Sun', Put Your New Gadgets to Shame
Like a lot of people, you’ve probably spent a lot of time thinking, “I have yet to hear the definitive version of the Animals’ ‘House of the Rising Sun’.” Well, you can now move on to worrying about other things, because a YouTube user named BD594 (James Cochrane, if you’re nasty) has brought the classic 60’s song to life with a pile of retro gizmos that, individually, haven’t done much for us lately.
Meet the band:
- HP Scanjet 3P, Adaptec SCSI card and a computer powered by Ubuntu v9.10 OS as the Vocals. (hey, the scanner is old)
- Atari 800XL with an EiCO Oscilloscope as the Organ
- Texas instrument Ti-99/4A with a Tektronix Oscilloscope as the Guitar
- Hard-drive powered by a PiC16F84A microcontroller as the bass drum and cymbal
Though this isn’t the first “out-of-date gadgets play music” story we’ve done (dangerously close to my third Janet Jackson joke, there), what’s particularly neat is the symphonic nature of the arrangement. Bass, melody, chords, and even percussion… it comes off sounding not too far from the music soundtrack from a mid-90’s video game.
If you indulge yourself in a few minutes to watch the video (which you really should), you’ll get a bit of a kick out of the scanner crawling forth as it whines out the melody. Really fun to watch.
Like this? You might also enjoy...
- Xbox 360 Camaro Casemod Has More Than Meets the Eye
- Megaphone Is a Giant, Acoustic Horn for Your iPhone
- Floppy Quartet Sings Portal's 'Still Alive'--Ironically