Canon's PowerShot G1 X features a 1.5-inch sensor that's almost as large as those found on higher-end (and more expensive) DSLRs. The result is great low-light perfomance and a fantastic picture. Editorial Assistant Alex Wawro tells us all about it.
At a Glance
Generic Company Place Holder Canon PowerShot G1 X Compact CameraPCWorld Rating
The Canon PowerShot G1 X takes the sharpest photos we've ever seen from a fixed-lens camera, and its image quality and video quality are outstanding overall. However, for $800, we expected better macro and burst-mode performance.
- Outstanding image quality
- Excellent Handheld Night Scene mode
- Extensive range of manual and automated controls
- Poor macro performance
- Autofocus issues in macro and burst mode
- Very expensive for a fixed-lens camera