The 7 Best Podcasts for Business Users
Last week you learned how to avoid gridlock during your daily commute. Of course, you can't avoid that commute altogether, which is why it's smart to make the most of time you have to spend in the car (or, for that matter, on bus, plane, train, etc.).
Instead of getting enraged by talk radio or lulled into a stupor by your tired old playlists, stock your phone or MP3 player with podcasts designed to enrich your brain. Without spending a penny, you can learn the secrets of managing effectively, communicating better, staying motivated, and much more.
Below I've rounded up seven of my favorite business-minded podcasts. I think all of them make your commute seem less like a chore and more like an invaluable learning experience.
- The EntreLeadership Podcast [iTunes link] Though best known for his personal-finance advice, author Dave Ramsey lends his expertise here on the subjects of business, leadership, and team building.
- Harvard Business IdeaCast [iTunes link] Ideas and commentaries from some of the top folks in business and management. Recent topics include Winning in a Turbulent Economy and Get More from IT -- for Less.
- Get-It-Done Guy's Quick and Dirty Tips to Work Less and Do More [iTunes link] Got six minutes? The self-proclaimed Get-It-Done Guy will show you how to deal with HR, set boundaries with your boss, beat procrastination, and more.
- Inspiring Words of Encouragement [iTunes link] Sales legend Zig Ziglar offers tips on staying motivated, improving your self image, overcoming objections, and more in this extensive podcast series.
- Manager Tools [iTunes link] What's the best way to give feedback to team members? How can you delegate and manage projects more effectively? Bottom linke: If you're a manager, you need this podcast.
- Marketplace [iTunes link] If there's a better business-news podcast, I haven't heard it. This public-radio staple covers everything from jobs to the stock market, with every other money matter in between.
- The Public Speaker's Quick and Dirty Tips for Improving Your Communication Skills [iTunes link] In each 10-minute segment, host Lisa B. Marshall offers tips on effective public speaking and everyday communication. Sample topic: "How to Be Diplomatic."
If you're not an iTunes user, you can find these and countless other podcasts at Podcast Alley. And if you have an Android phone, check out Listen, a free app that lets you stream and subscribe to podcasts.
Now let's hear from you: What podcasts do you listen to while shuttling to and from the office? List your favorites in the comments. Even if they're not all business-oriented (l"Wiretap," anyone?), I'm still interested.