Nintendo says game over to Super Mario 64 on the web

supermariohd

Mario just got crushed, but this time it wasn't a barrel-throwing gorilla or an angry mushroom—instead, it was Nintendo that dealt the death blow.

The video game maker recently issued a complaint notice against a website hosting an unlicensed recreation of a single level of Super Mario 64. Built by developer Roystan Ross, the demonstration game was a faithful recreation of the Bob-Omb Battlefield level of the 1996 hit for Nintendo 64 consoles.

Ross' version was built using the Unity Game Engine, which meant it could be played as a desktop program or in a web browser. It also had gamepad and keyboard support and featured glorious high-definition visuals.

The story behind the story: Nintendo's web takedown comes just as the company announced plans to unshackle its popular characters from Nintendo consoles. The company intends to produce original games for smartphones and tablets using Nintendo's roster of famous characters, including Mario and Luigi, Donkey Kong, and Link. The first games are due out this fall. With an expansion beyond its own hardware, Nintendo is probably feeling more protective than usual over its intellectual property.

Slow burn

Super Mario 64 HD originally went live on March 12, but only caught the attention of the tech and gaming press late last week. N64 fans went wild when the game surfaced and within hours the web version was overloaded from traffic as were some of the direct downloads. Clearly, Ross' creation scratched an itch to play a classic Nintendo game in a more modern setting--if only for a weekend.

Although the crowds loved it, Nintendo didn't take too kindly to a third-party messing with its intellectual property and moved to kill the web version of the project. The person hosting the site quickly killed the game to avoid taking on Nintendo in court.

Although the web version is gone, Ross' desktop versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux were still available for download at this writing.

[via TorrentFreak]

This story, "Nintendo says game over to Super Mario 64 on the web" was originally published by TechHive.

To comment on this article and other PCWorld content, visit our Facebook page or our Twitter feed.
Shop Tech Products at Amazon
Notice to our Readers
We're now using social media to take your comments and feedback. Learn more about this here.