||NTPWEdit is a password editor for Windows NT based systems (like Windows 2000 and XP), it can change or remove passwords for local system accounts. This program can NOT decrypt passwords or change domain and Active Directory passwords.
NTPWEdit changes passwords by direct modifying file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM. When running, operating system blocks any access to this file, so password editor must be executed on another Windows copy.
Some methods for use this program:
1. Boot Windows PE or BartPE environment from CD-ROM and launch NTPWEdit.
2. If system partition formatted in FAT filesystem - boot DOS from floppy disk, copy SAM file to floppy, edit this file on another computer and copy it back.
3. If system partition formatted in NTFS filesystem - copy file using Windows recovery console.
4. Attach hard drive to another computer, and edit passwords there.
5. Boot system from separate partition (if multiple OS are installed).