I always patch my system and run regular scans with updated antivirus and antispyware scanners. But while researching this story, I got hit by a Trojan horse (Trojan.Winloginhook.Delf.A) that was too new for my antivirus program to catch. Whether it's a new variant on a familiar foe, like a Trojan horse, or a completely new type of attack, today's threats can leave even the most security conscious among us vulnerable.
There are ways we can minimize our risk, however. The first step in mounting a good defense is to know what's coming at you, so I've compiled a list of ten serious security problems that you need to be aware of. To protect yourself, you should of course know how to keep your PC patched and your antimalware tools current. In addition, I'll provide tips to help you avoid these new dangers, and to contain the damage if you do get hit.
In This Article:
- Zombie PC Armies Set to Attack
- Your Stolen Data Free on the Web
- Phishers Co-opt Legitimate Sites
- The Human Security Hole
- Crooks Redirect Your Browser to Their Scam Web Sites
- Rootkits and Viruses Partner Up
- Viruses Call Up Your Cell Phone
- Malware on Your Passport?
- Your Data Held for Ransom
- No Safe Haven: Threats Plague All Platforms