There used to be something no self-respecting Mac owner would do: Admit to owning a Windows PC. Now, a whopping 85 percent of Mac owners 'fess up.
What happened to Windows-hating Mac users? I suppose they still exist, but as Macintosh has grown in market share, true devotees seem harder to find. Obviously, society is in decline.
According to NPD Group's "2009 Household Penetration Study," released yesterday:
- 12 percent of U.S. computer-owning households now own a Mac, up from 9 percent in 2008.
- Nearly 85 percent of Mac households also own a Windows-based PC. ? ?
- Two-thirds of Apple households own three or more computers.
- Only 39 percent Windows PC households how three or more computers.
- Mac owners are also more mobile, with 72 percent owning a notebook, compared with 60 percent of Windows PC households.
- The average Mac household owns twice as many consumer electronics devices as the average computer-owning household: 48 to 24.
Does it surprise anyone that Mac households also have larger incomes? While 36 percent of Mac owners report household incomes greater than $100,000, only 21 percent of total households make the same claim.
So while today's Mac users may be a tad less devoted that those of years' past, they have more money and spend it on many more devices than average consumers. And that includes Windows PCs.
David Coursey mostly writes on a Mac, does other work on PC. He tweets (from both) as @techinciter .