Pages, Numbers, iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand, Keynote, Cards...and now Podcasts. We expected Apple to release a dedicated app for podcast fans when we discovered that the iOS 6 beta had excised podcasts from the iTunes app.
Today, that prediction came true. Apple's new app, simply titled Podcasts, is a free universall app for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPads. It looks like a fairly straightforward app, with nice playback controls and some good syncing features so you can start listening on one device and pick up where you left off on another.
Some of the more interesting features, from Apple's own app description:
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what's most popular in Top Charts
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
For more on Apple's Podcast app, check out Dan Moren's hands-on impressions at Macworld. What's that you say? Where's our TechHive podcast? We'll have more to say on that front in the coming weeks.
This story, "Apple expands its app offerings with Podcasts" was originally published by TechHive.