LG has decided to return to the show floor at next year's Mobile World Congress, which will take place in February, after being absent at the show earlier this year, according to the GSM Association (GSMA).
The GSMA is "delighted" that the world's third largest phone manufacturer will have a major presence, it said via e-mail on Tuesday. At the end of last year in a statement, GSMA said LG changed its marketing initiatives and decided against paying for a stand on the exhibition floor.
LG did take part in the event and launched new products, but the lack of a stand meant less attention for the company, according to Geoff Blaber, analyst at CCS Insight. LG didn't have a very strong product portfolio to launch at the event, so a lower-key and cheaper presence may have been the right decision, Blaber said.
LG didn't confirm that it is returning to the show floor. The company will have a presence at the 2011 show, but is still working on its strategy and doesn't want to comment further, it said via e-mail. LG is rebuilding its smartphone portfolio and will introduce about "10 new smart devices worldwide in the second half of this year under the LG Optimus label," the company said in July.
Besides LG, Nokia was also a no-show at Mobile World Congress this year, but used a locale near the show grounds to launch MeeGo -- an operating system with Intel that will be used on advanced smartphones, tablets and netbooks.
What Nokia will do next year remains to be seen. The GSMA is in discussions with Nokia and expects the company will be involved in the show. Nokia didn't reply to questions about its plans.
On Tuesday, the GSMA announced some keynote speakers, including Randall Stephenson, CEO of AT&T, Google CEO Eric Schmidt and Evan Williams, CEO at Twitter.
The trade show will take place in Barcelona between Feb. 14 and 17 and is expected to attract more than 50,000 attendees, according to the GSMA.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com