Sony is still investigating the security breach that downed its PlayStation Network and Qriocity online services, but expects the gaming network will be back in operation this week, a company exec told media Sunday afternoon in Tokyo.
Full service on PlayStation Network to resume this week with online gaming, full service expected to be restored by mid-May, Executive Deputy President Kazuo Hirai told media at a briefing that ended just minutes ago.
Sony will welcome back its users with free downloads of selected software, the company said.
What Sony called a "criminal cyber attack" centered on the data center in San Diego, Hirai told reporters. The company still has no evidence of theft of credit card data that customers entered to pay for PSN services, but cannot rule out the possibility.
The investigation continues, however; Hirai said Sony has requested help from the U.S. FBI to investigate the network intrusion. Sony will also create a new chief information security officer position in response to the hack.
Networking gaming and music unlimited will apparently be the first services to go back online, according to Sony. It appears SonyStyle is a different system and not affected by this.
Sony shut down the network April 20 after realizing on April 18 that it had been hacked, but did not disclose the breach until April 22.
More information will follow in an update to be posted shortly. Reporting by Martyn Williams, IDG News Service, in Tokyo. Update: Sony Apologizes, Details PlayStation Network Attack.