Laptops For Everyday Use
What is an all-purpose laptop? We generally define them as between 14 and 16 inches, weighing more than 4.5 pounds. Some 13-inch laptops that are thicker and heavier than the standard may fit the bill. These are large and powerful enough to serve as your everyday computer, but portable enough to accompany you on the go. By the way, we've tested every laptop in this slideshow in the PCWorld Labs.
Be sure to check out these other articles:
If speed is your passion, you'll like this all-purpose unit from Asus, but its input ergonomics are weak.
- Excellent performance
- Large display
- Only single-band, 2.4GHz Wi-Fi
- Weak touchpad and buttons
AVADirect Clevo P151HM
The P151HM brings a robust GPU and solid gaming performance to the 15-inch category of laptops, but at the cost of added weight and bulk.
- Very good game performance for its size
- Great keyboard with excellent tactile feedback
- Quite hefty for its class
- The system gets pretty loud under a full gaming load
Gateway finally racks up some style points with this mainstream laptop, which also delivers good performance.
- Nice styling and input ergonomics
- Good overall and gaming performance
- Mild junkware
Acer Aspire 5741G-6983
A great all-purpose unit with superior gaming potential.
- Fast and stylish
- Great gaming frame rates
- A bit pricey for a mainstream laptop
- Ethernet port is inconveniently located
Sony VAIO VPCEA22FX
Sony's VAIO EA series may not be the cheapest all-purpose laptop line, but the excellent design and usability are worth the modest price premium.
- Good arrangement and variety of ports
- Excellent keyboard and touchpad
- Horrible green color
- Slightly washed-out display
The Asus N82Jv has good graphics, a nice screen, and a USB 3.0 port. If only it weren't so heavy.
- Cool cover
- Nice, bright screen
- Touchpad is only semi-multitouch
Micro Express NBL26
Micro Express manages to ship a staggeringly average laptop using Intel’s new Sandy Bridge CPUs.
- Good desktop app performance in a $1200 laptop
- Lighter than average
- Surprisingly poor gaming performance
- Noisy video upscaling, visible edge enhancement
The U41JF performs pretty well for its category, but the case looks and feels cheap.
- Nice graphics card
- Thin screen
- Feels cheap
- Looks cheap
Samsung ships an elegant looking laptop with a great keyboard, but the machine is overpriced for what you get.
- Excellent keyboard
- Sleek exterior and light weight for a 15-incher
- Intel graphics useless for modern PC games
- Motion smearing in video
Toshiba Satellite L635-S3104
Toshiba's take on a budget all-purpose notebook delivers a good selection of hardware, but lackluster performance and battery life.
- Nice keyboard, built-in DVD burner
- Good hardware specs at a reasonable price
- A lot of bloatware that runs by default
- Mediocre performance and battery life
Today's Best Tech Deals
Picked by PCWorld's Editors
eBay coupons for January 2020
Extra 15% off $25 home and garden using eBay coupon 2020
Lenovo coupons for January 2020
$100 off your next purchase
Microsoft sales for January 2020
Students & parents get 10% off sitewide at Microsoft
iRobot coupons for January 2020
Roomba s9+ Vacuum & Braava Jet m6 Mop Bundle - Get up to $190 off at iRobot
Newegg promo codes for January 2020
Save $210 on Tesvor Smart Robot Vaccum at Newegg
HP coupon codes for January 2020
HP coupon: Extra 30% off workstations