Today's Best Tech Deals
Picked by PCWorld's Editors
Top Deals On Great Products
Picked by Techconnect's Editors
Five Reasons Why Desktop Software Is Still Vital
Working with online applications makes a lot of sense for a lot of computer users these days--especially when travel may take people far from their primary work PC. Nevertheless, in some situations the ability to work with software that's installed locally on a desktop system can be indispensable. Here are five advantages that come with having apps loaded and ready to run on your own PC.
- Security: Company’s evolve, and though storing your information on a company’s servers is usually safe, even a seemingly stable company may fold or change its privacy standards. When handling important documents, family photos, and business presentations, you might want to use desktop software just to ensure that the preservation and confidentiality of that information don't depend on the good behavior of some potentially capricious company.
- Guaranteed connection: Web apps are great when you can access the Web. But if your Internet connection goes down, or if you can’t pick up a wireless signal while you're on the go, you need on-board software to stay productive. Conveniently, many tools have a 'sync' button to enable your online database to catch up with your offline database when you regain your connection.
- Speed: Even when you do have an Internet connection, Web services can be agonizingly slow at times--or their servers can go down. Though offline programs can feel sluggish, too, you can clean unnecessary files from your hard drive to make the software run faster, or you can upgrade your RAM. The point is that you aren't at the mercy of external conditions.
- In-box utilities: Cleanup and file management utilities aren’t the most exciting applications in the world, but that doesn’t mean they’re not important. And Web services just can’t keep your computer up and running the way local tools can.
- Raw power: Web-based photo editors are getting better and better, but it’s still next to impossible to edit video from a browser. To do that job, you must draw on the resources of your own machine.
Target Promo Code
Up to 25% off sitewide - Target coupon
Sam's Club Coupon
Sam's Club promo - 40% off 1-year membership
Hair & Scalp - 28% off
Doordash Promo Code
Save 50% on Baskin Robbins with this DoorDash coupon code
$10 eBay coupon for invited users
Dell Coupon code
Dell exclusive offers - up to 45% off select PCs