Today's Best Tech Deals
Picked by PCWorld's Editors
Top Deals On Great Products
Picked by Techconnect's Editors
- Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 specs
- Asus ROG Strix 2080 features and cooler design
- Test system configuration
- ROG Strix RTX 2080: Performance vs. Quiet vs. OC mode
- Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 gaming performance
- Fire Strike, power draw, thermals, and noise
- Should you buy the Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080?
Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation
Ashes of the Singularity ($40 on Humble) was one of the very first DX12 games, and it remains a flagbearer for the technology to this day thanks to the extreme scalability of Oxide Games’ next-gen Nitrous engine. With hundreds of units onscreen simultaneously and some serious graphics effects in play, the Crazy preset can make graphics cards sweat. Ashes runs in both DX11 and DX12, but we only test in DX12, as it delivers the best results for both Nvidia and AMD GPUs these days.
We’re going to wrap things up with a couple of older games that aren’t really visual barnburners, but still top the Steam charts day-in and day-out. These are games that a lot of people play. First up: Grand Theft Auto V ($30 on Humble) with all options turned to Very High, all Advanced Graphics options except extended shadows enabled, and FXAA. GTA V runs on the RAGE engine and has received substantial updates since its initial launch.
Surprise! The GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is faster than the newer RTX 2080 in GTA V.
Rainbow Six Siege
Finally, let’s take a peek at Rainbow Six Siege ($40 on Humble), a game whose audience just keeps on growing, and one that still feels like the only truly next-gen shooter after all these years. Like Ghost Recon Wildlands, this game runs on Ubisoft’s AnvilNext 2.0 engine, but Rainbow Six Siege responds especially well to games that lean on async compute features. That’s why it performs so much better on Vega 64 and the RTX 20-series cards compared to the older GTX 10-series GPUs.
Next page: Synthetics, power, thermals, and noise
Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080
The powerful, massive Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 lets you choose between chilly temperatures or near-silent operation, outclassing the Nvidia Founders Edition in every way. It's huge and very pricey, though.
- Excellent 4K/60 or 1440p/144Hz gaming
- Very low GPU temperature in Performance mode
- Virtually silent in Quiet mode
- Stuffed with features: Dual BIOS, RGB and fan headers, etc.
- RT and tensor cores for ray tracing, DLSS, and more
- Extremely expensive
- Matches GTX 1080 Ti's performance in games
- Ray traced and DLSS games aren't available yet
- Massive; may not fit in some cases
eBay coupons for January 2020
Extra 15% off select items with eBay coupon
Lenovo coupons for January 2020
$100 off your next purchase
Microsoft sales for January 2020
Students & parents get 10% off sitewide at Microsoft
iRobot coupons for January 2020
Roomba s9+ Vacuum & Braava Jet m6 Mop Bundle - Get up to $190 off at iRobot
Newegg promo codes for January 2020
50% off Newegg's refurbished outlet
HP coupon codes for January 2020
Take $10 off on $50 accessories order with HP coupon code