Today's Best Tech Deals
Picked by PCWorld's Editors
Top Deals On Great Products
Picked by Techconnect's Editors
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070: Specs, features, and price
- Our test system
- GeForce RTX 3080 gaming benchmarks
- GeForce RTX 3070 ray tracing performance
- Creative benchmarks
- Power draw, thermals, and noise
- Should you buy the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition?
Power draw, thermals, and noise
We test power draw by looping the F1 2020 benchmark at 4K for about 20 minutes after we’ve benchmarked everything else. We note the highest reading on our Watts Up Pro meter, which measures the power consumption of our entire test system. The initial part of the race, where all competing cars are onscreen simultaneously, tends to be the most demanding portion.
This isn’t a worst-case test; we removed the Core i7 8700K’s overclock and specifically chose a GPU-bound game running at a GPU-bound resolution to gauge performance when the graphics card is sweating hard. If you’re playing a game that also hammers the CPU, you could see higher overall system power draws. Consider yourself warned.
For all the complaints about the RTX 30-series being power hungry, Nvidia’s GeForce RTX 3070 draws considerably less power than the RTX 2080 Ti that it rivals in gaming performance. It requires a bit more juice than the RTX 2070 did, though.
We test thermals by leaving GPU-Z open during the F1 2020 power draw test, noting the highest maximum temperature at the end.
Nothing to complain about here. The slightly altered RTX 3070 Founders Edition design keeps the GPU at a frigid 72 degrees under an extended load, which compares favorably against well-designed cooling solutions we’ve seen on custom cards in the past. It’s a lot cooler than the (much more powerful) RTX 3080 Founders Edition. That said, while the RTX 3080 FE was very quiet, the much smaller RTX 3070 Founders Edition sounds like your average graphics card. It’s not loud, but it’s definitely not silent.
Next page: Should you buy the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition?
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition
The Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition delivers performance on a par with last generation's flagship for $700 less, but compromises on memory capacity. It's a great graphics card for 4K or high-refresh-rate gaming.
- Excellent 4K and 1440p gaming
- As fast as RTX 2080 Ti for $700 less
- Cool, reasonably quiet custom cooling
- Ray tracing at 1440p and (sometimes) 4K
- HDMI 2.1, AV1 encoding, PCIe 4.0, 8K/30fps capture
- Nvidia software: Reflex, G-Sync, Shadowplay, Broadcast, RTX IO
- 8GB of memory doesn't feel future-proof for 4K gaming
- Not as quiet as other RTX 30 Founders Edition GPUs, some custom cards
- 12-pin power adapter is ugly
Dell Coupon code
Dell coupon code - extra 17% off + free shipping on XPS Tower
Eastbay Promo Code
Eastbay promo code: 20% off $99 for students
AT&T Wireless Promo Code
Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G now $700 off
Rosetta Stone Promo Code
Rosetta Stone coupon - 50% off 1-year exclusive
Samsung Promo Code
Samsung promo code: Up to 40% off your order
Motley Fool Discount
Rule Breakers: 84% off membership with Motley Fool discount