Portable by design, a laptop computer is a delicate, intricate machine that respond poorly to flames, freefalls, and blunt-force trauma (accidental or otherwise). And unlike a smartphone, which fits snugly in a pocket or pouch, a laptop is bulky and relatively awkward to carry. In short, it’s a disaster waiting to happen.
Warning: If you’re offended by graphic images of singed silicon and eviscerated electronics, click away now! Brave souls, continue.
And if you like seeing tech hardware put through changes, you might enjoy these other features from the archives of PCWorld.
• “Battered, Bashed and Beaten: Broken iPhones A-Go-Go” [slideshow]
• “iPhone 3G Torture Tests”
• “Digital Demolition: Hard Drive vs. Flame Thrower!”
• “Steampunk Tech Mods: A 19th-Century Take on 21st-Century PCs and Gadgets” [slideshow]
• “10 Insane PC Case Mods” [slideshow]
• “10 Seriously Ridiculous Hacks” [slideshow]