The updated Facebook iPhone app, one would imagine, will only add to the buzz. The app, said to be “98 percent done,” is being called Facebook for iPhone 3.0. An actual release date has not been finalized, according to an announcement posted to Facebook’s iPhone page — but that’s not stopping us from getting a sneak peek at what’s inside.
The next Facebook iPhone app will feature a completely new home screen with easier access to the site’s various functions. It’ll also incorporate the live-streaming news feed now seen on Facebook’s Web interface, along with the recently added “like” option to express your support for friends’ updates. The Facebook for iPhone 3.0 home screen will offer expanded customization, too, allowing you to add links to profiles and pages of your choice.
Other improvements said to be on tap:
• Expanded photo functionality, including the ability to create new albums, upload photos directly into an album, zoom into photos, and tag photos
• Built-in options to call or text your Facebook friends from within the application
• Improved handling of notifications
• Added support for events, including the ability to RSVP
• Added support for notes and pages
Support for push notification, one of the features added into the iPhone 3.0 operating system, won’t make it into this release. It is, however, being planned for a 3.1 update tentatively scheduled to ship later this summer.